Registered dietitian Melanie Murphy gives us the low down on supplementation during menopause, what works and what doesn’t and how to best decide which supplements and what dosage to take.
We cover some of the more well known supplements such as magnesium and St. John’s Wort to other more frequently used in Chinese medicine.
Melanie also explains how seed cycling and phytoestrogens are utilized by the body and if they are safe and effective.
ABOUT MELANIE MURPHY
Melanie Murphy holds a Masters of Nutrition, Healthspan and Longevity from USC (University of Southern California) and has her own private holistic nutrition practice.
She specializes in gut health and beginning March 1, 2021 she is launching a course focused on helping you to fully embody your physical body so that you can better understand your emotions, free your mind and unlock your spirit. This practical and enlightening course is intended to reintegrate your body to your soul so that you can pursue a more present and joy-filled life. Click here to find out more.
- Can’t stop menopause with supplements, but can manage it and reduce symptoms
- General lifestyle and eating habits can help.
- Supplements are a supplement to an already healthy diet and lifestyle.
- We produce less hormones (estrogen) as we age. Relates to bone health, insulin sensitivity not only periods
- Phytoestrogens in seeds and some other food fill in the nutritional gaps in the body.
- If you’re not making enough estrogen, the phytoestrogen will increase, if you have too much, it will bind to estrogen and sweep it out.
- Phytoestrogens are an adaptogen.
- Always speak to your doctor first before taking supplements or adding phytoestrogens in your diet
BEST SUPPLEMENTS FOR MENOPAUSE
- Estrogen supplement – oils, herbs, ginseng for hot flashes, brain fatigue/fog, Don quai (for hot flashes)
- Black cohosh counterpart to blue cohosh (induce menses)
- Evening primrose – to help sleep
- Calcium supplement
- Estrogen helps protect the bones from losing calcium
- Vitamin D and Vitamin K to help preserve bone mass and help absorb the calcium
- Test your Vitamin D before taking a supplement
- Symptomology can put you in depressive states.
- St. Johns Wort
- Reducing stress in external world through foods we eat.
- Insulin resistance – loading body with sugar and refined carbs – you add fuel to your own fire (not sleeping, stressed, alcohol…)
- Walk, sleep, bath, don’t drink water before bed
Sandwich generation in menopause 50s…caretakers for kids and parents. Cant always control external stressors.
Don’t load up the body with excess sugars. Take time to care for yourself.
Get a health practitioner to help you – contact Melanie or Zora for guidance
- Toxins are not going to be the reason you experience menopausal symptoms.
- Emotional and environmental and energetic toxins accumulate in organs, liver over time.
- By the time you’re in the 50s, the toxic buildup is large and you may struggle to detoxify.
- Do liver cleanse during menopause. Flush out and mitigate shifts in hormones.
FASTING MIMICKING DIET
Like me, Melanie Murphy is also an ambassador for the famous Fasting Mimicking Diet – a 5 day fasting program with food. Contact Melanie or me for guidance on how to take the diet and if it’s appropriate for you. Use coupon code HACKMYAGE at checkout for a discount
NUTRITION FOR LONGEVITY
Nutrition For Longevity – a science based farm to table customized meal service, where you can get nutrient dense meals based on the Longevity Diet of Dr. Valter Longo delivered straight to your door. Use coupon code HACKMYAGE at checkout for a discount.
FOLLOW MELANIE MURPHY RD
Website: Melanie Murphy RD
FOLLOW HACK MY AGE
Website: Hack My Age
Clubhouse: Zora Benhamou (Club: Biohacking Women 50+)
Apple Podcast : Hack My Age
Hack My Age VIP Group: Hack My Age – Become part of the VIP age defying community!
This podcast is edited by @JonathanJK
This blog post is edited by Alison Copywriting
Thank you all for your support and if it’s not too much to ask, please leave a review (both a star and a written review) on Apple Podcasts. It is a small gesture that makes a big impact for me and helps others find great speakers like Melanie!