Today we are going to talk about fatigue and get simple biohacking tips on how to re-ignite energy from within by Shawn Wells. We speak about biohacktivism, where biohacking can go wrong, game changing supplements, morning routines, older women on fasting, changing habits in older adults, hacking your energy by going deep within and the truth on finding true happiness and success in your journey into health and wellbeing no matter how old we are. Everything can be found in his new book The Energy Formula.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Hack My Age podcast for updates on the latest episodes. I highly encourage you to also leave a review so others can find this great content too.
ABOUT SHAWN WELLS
Shawn Wells is the world’s leading nutritional biochemist and expert on Health Optimization. He has a MPH (masters in public health), LDN (licensed dietitian/nutritionist), RD (Registered dietitian), CISSN (sports nutritionist), FISSN (fellow of the International Society of Sports Nutrition).
He has formulated over 500 supplements, food, beverages, and cosmeceuticals and patented 10 novel ingredients and is now known as the Ingredientologist – the scientist of ingredients. Formerly a Chief Clinical Dietitian with over a decade of clinical experience, he has counseled thousands of people on natural health solutions such as keto, paleo, fasting, and supplements. He has also personally overcome his own health issues including Epstein-Barr Virus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, depression, insomnia, obesity, and a pituitary tumor.
As a world-renowned thought-leader on mitochondrial health, he has been paid to speak on five different continents. His insights have been prominently featured in documentaries, nationally syndicated radio programs and regularly on morning television.
He’s even done over 150 podcast interviews (including Ben Greenfield, JJ Virgin and Wellness Mama)! His expertise can help any health-conscious individual to better manage stress and experience higher performance and more energy through utilizing his practical wholistic solutions.
WHAT IS BIOHACKING?
- Biohacking is hacking your biology to elicit increase in performance…a short cut
- Originally it was putting devices in your body and chips In the brain
- Now evolved to gratitude journaling and breathwork
WHAT IS BIOHACKTIVISM?
- Hacking for the social good
- It’s about self activism and how to enhance my performance and biology to impact on the world around me.
MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW ABOUT BIOHACKING
- It’s evolving
- Biohacks are sometimes used to survive and cope with what you can be doing to your body (self loathing, body dysmorphia, overworking…)
- Hacking can mean quick and harsh, which may resonate with type A driven to self sacrifice, competitive and can fall easily.
- Biohacks can be a “distress”. Overflow. Too much stress even with biohacking.
- You must have a stoic mindset and greater stress capacity to take on these hormetic stresses.
- Biohacking doesn’t work if you skip the foundation (sleep, stress, food, exercise, growth, social connection…)
Experimentation (most technical) what we want
Your tribe (more foundational) what we need
- Epigenetics, blood work, ,bio individuality
- Keto paleo vegan vegetarian, Mediterranean
- LOW steady state
- BFR (Blood Flow Restriction Bands)
- Circadian rhythm
- Sleep wake cycle
- Sleep hygiene
- Morning routines
- Having a stoic resilient mindset
- Willingness to explore
- Be creative
- There is no failure. You win or you learn
- Connection like in the Blue Zones
- #1 factor in longevity is quality relationships (watch this Ted Talk)
WHY ARE WE LOSING OUR ENERGY?
- Insulin resistance
- Metabolic dysfunction
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- 6 hours of sleep or less will make you acutely insulin resistant and at risk for almost all disease states and not enough energy state.
- We reach for caffeine, soda and energy drinks
- Blue lights (from TV, computer, phones, electronics)
- Eating at night impairs circadian rhythm
- Social jetlag – we stay up 2 – 4 hours more than normal (like jet lag).
- Work on sleep!
WHAT IS NAD?
- Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide
- Cellular fuel to activate sirtuin genes and important in Krebs Cycle to produce ATP, which is needed to make more mitochondrial production
- Declines with age and we catabolize it with NADase, the enzyme that breaks it down.
- Can take polyphenols like fisetin to raise NAD
- Shawn prefers NMN over NR as does David Sinclair, Rhonda Patrick & Peter Attia
- Take apigenin a polyphenol to inhibit CB38 (NADA aka)
- Quercetin increases NAD, but doesn’t do as well as fisetin, so get a liposomal version.
WHERE TO GET NMN?
- NMN is unstable if exposed to heat and light
- Get a stabilized – Amazon buy…Toniq brand
CAN WE TRUST AMAZON TO BUY SUPPLEMENTS?
- Yes. Quality control is excellent.
- Best Brands: Thorne, Pure Encapsulations, Standard Process can also be bought on Amazon.
- Buy first party seller on Amazon, not a third party.
LIVING AN ENERGIZED LIFE
- “The true secret to feel energized is to be of service and to show up for others.”
- Resilience – A greater amount of stress capacity will activate longevity genes, makes us tougher, more resistant to disease, having a growth mindset, serving others, having a stoic mindset, knowing your why, having community and connection will help you live longer than any biohack.
- We are trying to hack our bad habits instead of fix our bad habits.
- Which diet brings more energy?
- With all the diets, we agree on whole foods.
- High bliss point foods changed us.
- With good nutrition we will feel full when we are supposed to feel full and no dopamine roller coaster which is like cocaine
- If you have insulin resistance, then keto is very effective and it’s easy.
- You can strategically work carbs in.
- Get to know your body, carbs aren’t evil.
- The more active you are, the more carb tolerant you are
- Women need carb cycling, not keto more than a month
- Men seem to go longer with keto and extended fasting and carnivore.
- Premenopausal, lean or low body fat limit extended fasting and stick to intermittent fasting.
- With fasting, if you’re already dealing with stress, throwing in an extended fast can be difficult on your body, especially with hormonal fluctuations.
- Older adults have pattern behavior, so a little harder, but it’s not that hard. If there is a desire to change and get more healthy.
- If there is motivation, then it is not that hard to do a keto diet.
- Females in their 60s and 70s will have a very different HIIT training than someone who is in their 20s and 30s.
- Could be a walk to a jog. Will pick up intensity. On a treadmill or elliptical if there is a problem with impact.
- 80% – 100% threshold will be where adaptation will happen.
- Slow go cardio will burn calories, but won’t be making adaptations.
- Real change happens when you change something
- Sarcopenia is a problem for older adults
- Women cannot bulk up unless they train very intensively and at the right age, right nutrition, but it’s very very hard.
- Difference in physiology
- If you take steroids, then they can add super muscle mass and bulk
STRENGTH TRAINING BENEFITS
- Increase natural growth hormone
- Increase growth factors
- Increase bone density
- Improve hormones
- Have strength on demand
- Better quality of life
- Prevent fractures and falls
- Grip strength is correlated to overall muscle strength and how long you will live.
- Hang on a bar for as long as you can
- 2 types of learning
- Crystalized intelligence – get smarter because we get faster at doing repeated things. Better than younger people.
- Fluid intelligence means can learn new tasks. Older adults are less neuroplastic and can’t learn as easily. Need to challenge yourself
- Put the belt in the opposite way,
- Learn new languages
- Try new restaurants
- Take a different route to work.
- Will keep us more neuroplastic
- Find challenge to bring on growth and adaptation.
- Cherish the obstacle is there to find your strength and your why. And more resilient.
OLDER ADULTS AND LONELINESS
- Finding ways to stay active helps keep purpose to live a longer healthier life
- Get into regular activities and join a group
- Need to interact with other people
- When people retire, they die.
- Women are better at community and connection and may be a reason why women live longer.
HOW TO TELL A FAMILY MEMBER TO CHANGE THE DIET
- Meet them where they’re at. Going from 6 cokes to 1 coke is a huge win. Don’t remove everything if it’s a safe haven
- Reduce the amount
- Add something in rather than removing something
- Set small goals
- Go shopping with them and stock with fresh food
HOW TO GET OUT OF DEPRESSION AS AN OLDER ADULT
- Isolation and loneliness is a killer
- Just get out and move, get fresh air and be other humans, say hello to people
- Joining a meetup or calling people at a certain time of day
- Clubhouse to listen to other voices and feel like you’re being heard
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU LIVE IN A BIG CITY
- Find a place where you can minimize noise and smog to detoxify the body
- Speakers noise canceling technology or white noise.
- NAD IV or take NMN, higher glutathione or NAC, IV, stay hydrated, fasting (IF and extend)
- Moving sweating, hot sauna, red light therapy
- Promotes greater resiliency
- Get polyphenols from supplements and diet as they are resilience compounds in the body
- Xenohormetics – help us be more hormetic. Plants that have a tougher life also are more resilient and higher in more polyphenols (like trans-resveratrol). When we eat this, we also become more resilient.
- Better to eat plants without pesticides, they look ugly. Whole foods, not modified or sprayed
WHAT DOES SHAWN DO DAILY THAT MAKES BIGGEST IMPACT ON ENERGY
- Community, connection, having a why
MORNING 10 MIN ROUTINE
- Box breathing 10 min (add link)
- Light stretching
- Drink water
WHAT SHAWN IS INTO THESE DAYS
- Experimentation with temperature
- Jump in cold lake or finish shower with cold for 30 seconds
- Then go into sunlight and sauna (near and far infrared)
ANTI AGING DAILY SUPPLEMENTS
- NMN 1 -2g day
- Apigenin to inhibit CD38 to keep NAD levels higher
- CoQ10 in reduced form ubiquinol 200mg a day (MitoQ)
- PQQ 10 – 20mg
- Dihydroberberine optimized form and 5-10 times more bioavailable, 100 – 150mg twice a day (antiglycation)
- Inflammation modulation CBD Cannabidiol
- Tetrahydrocurcumin – metabolite of curcumin
- Get The Energy Formula for Shawn’s recommendations on brands and dosages.
WHAT WOULD YOU TELL YOUR 25 YR OLD SELF
- Grant myself grace. Know I can be everything I want to be right now
- Learn more on the Innergy Motto Podcast with Shawn Wells Season 1 Episode 5
FASTING FOR ENERGY GUIDE – 25 page
- Q & A on zoom
- Recipe book coming
- Surveys to assess baseline
THE ENERGY FORMULA
A transparent, vulnerable and inspiring call to action, The ENERGY Formula is a guide meant to bring you out of the black hole of fatigue, depression and weight challenges and into a more passionate, energized and vibrant life NOW…with expert Shawn Wells as your guide through every simple, research-backed step.
Amazon bestseller in 7 categories,
Forbes Top 21 Books of 2021 (#9)
USA Today Top 20 Books to read (#11)
Includes book bonuses, Blogs & downloadable guides
FOLLOW SHAWN WELLS
Website: Shawn Wells
Clubhouse: @shawnwells (@biohacking)
FOLLOW HACK MY AGE
Website: Hack My Age
Clubhouse: Zora Benhamou (Club: Biohacking Women 50+)
Apple Podcast : Hack My Age
Patreon: Hack My Age – Become part of the VIP age defying community!
Hack My Age Newsletter for all the upcoming podcast interviews where you can sit in on the live call in a Zoom webinar.
This podcast is edited by @JonathanJK
This blog post is edited by Alison Copywriting
HELP US GROW
Standing out in the crowd of podcasts is a very hard thing. The only way to really grow is to have lots of reviews.
If you enjoy the Hack My Age podcast, please help us grow by leaving a review on Apple podcast so that the voice of women over 50 can be heard.
Click here to watch the 60 second video on how to leave your review or give a star rating. Scrub to minute 0:30 and just watch the last 30 seconds.
Thank you all for your support!