I am always looking for tasty healthy snacks to munch on and these Detox Beet Chips are a perfect guilt free way to satisfy some cravings. Scroll to the bottom for the quick video.
I decided to look for recipes for beet chips when I first discovered them in the health shop….for $6 a bag! It was a small bag on top of that. I enjoyed them so much, I had to figure out a way to get these regularly. And off to the kitchen I went. After testing out a few recipes, I feel that simple is best. You can go to town experimenting with adding rosemary, cumin, oregano oil drops and garlic. But I always go back to what’s easy and fast, so stick with just a little salt, pepper, coconut oil and vinegar.
According to a study by Wake Forest University, drinking beet root juice before exercising makes adult brains perform more efficiently and basically act like a young brain! It’s reasons like this that I like to incorporate beets into my daily diet. High in vitamin C, fiber and magnesium, beets have properties that may also reduce blood pressure, increase stamina and endurance as well as lower inflammation to fight against disease and aging.
TIP: Beet greens (not the roots!) contain vitamin A and carotenoids to fight free radicals and aging, so don’t throw them away! Blend them in a smoothie with some carrots and apples for a superfood kick to your morning.
3 large organic beets
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Pink himalayan salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- Slice the beets as thinly and evenly cut as possible to get them crispy and baked at the same time.
- Place the beets in a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the slices of beets evenly on parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve after cooling down.
Adapted from Minimalist Baker